Sunday, November 10, 2013

Failure

My boss, who is great, likes to remind me when I mess something up that mistakes are learning experiences. And he really believes it. It is very inspiring to me. I know a few other people who are like that as well, and I've been working hard to take a leaf out of their book.

It's been a challenge for someone as self-critical as myself, but it's really doing a lot to change me in good ways. When I can accept mistakes for what they are--experiences that help me grow--I am much less critical of myself and much more able to set aside my worries about my imperfections. It's hard to live a happy and productive life when you're preoccupied with everything that you could have or should have done better. You stress people out.

So, this weekend was an exercise in that area. I wrote previously that I was going to run a half marathon, and yesterday I did it.

I wasn't able to run the whole thing. I hurt my ankle somewhere around mile 8, and by mile 10 the pain was too much. I started walking, with a heavy limp. But I kept going. Until the end.

Initially I was really disappointed in myself. I had a goal to finish in under 2 hours, and I had trained to be able to do it. I felt like all my hard work was wasted.

On the positive side, though, I can look at my finish time and recognize that even though it wasn't what I wanted, I still finished in less time than it took me to run the first (and only other) half marathon I did. And in that one I never stopped to walk.

Accomplishment? I think yes.

Setbacks. Mistakes. They're learning experiences.

Now I just need to let my ankle rest up and heal for a few weeks, and I'll be at it again. No reason to be disappointed. Just a good reason to keep going strong.

1 comment: